Sunday, September 4, 2011

Darkchild Has Forsaken Us

Darkchild decided to stay home this day. I think we wore him out. He had already obtained the autograph of Charlaine Harris for his daughter, which was his main mission, and had done all his shopping so he was good. I did leave him with a large bottle of wine, and the pizza delivery number( I'm not a totally bad hostess ). And as we walked out the door for the day we said for him to call if he needed anything and that we'd see him at dinner.  


Robot BattlesTM: Microbattles
It's at this point I realize that, not only did I not charge my phone last night( nor the two extra batteries ) but I've also forgotten my charger. Nothing to be done at this point but to only use my phone sparingly and hope it holds out for the day. But back to more important things like robots beating the snot out of each other. These battles take place on a platform that is domed with, let's see....as the announcer put  it, almost bullet proof glass. See these robots attempt to push each other off small slots in the floor at either end of the platform. If they have to chop up their opponent in the process, then all the better. This leads to lots of flying pieces of metal. There were also times when blades and such were not tightened down enough and when the saws started spinning they would spin off. I now understand the bullet proof glass. Very fun and very well attended.

Eureka-Where the Laws Don't Apply!
Guests: Colin Ferguson, Kevin Robert Grazier, Wil Wheaton, Chris Gauthier, Jordan Hinson
If you like Eureka then you won't be disappointed by a Eureka panel.  We attended a panel last year that was a Eureka/Warehouse 13 crossover panel which entailed Colin Ferguson and the Eddie McClintock each trying to out ham the other. The winner, in that case was the Audience, for sure. This panel it was Colin and Wil who provided the most amusement. Everyone has a great sense of humor, and they don't take themselves too seriously.   Quite the opposite. The actors had just wrapped up their final episodes maybe a month earlier so that was kinda sad. They all said that it was like working with family. Dysfunctional, but still family. I know Master Johnathan enjoyed this panel.....he has a secret bro-crush on Wil Wheaton. (ed. Not True, just a follower of his "Don't be a dick" philosophy.)

Creating a Web Series with Felicia Day
Felicia Day and members of her production team discuss creating and marketing hit online web series like The Guild and Dragon Age.
This panel was actually run by quite a few people who have had success with web series in various genres. I was never quite sure if they were just awful at answering questions or were being intentionally vague so as not to allow anyone into their niche market. Even the moderator gave up trying to get them to answer anything with specificity, after several tries to direct them. I left early to grab a sandwich. Master Johnathan said it didn't get any better and all the people around us chimed in and agreed. Basically the most detailed information they provided about the business was:   you should do something you like, it's going to cost you anywhere from several hundred dollars to 10s of thousands and you should use computer software. I'm not kidding.... vague. Another "Swing and a Miss".

Calling Home–The Deep Space Network
Ahhh...back in the JPL room. I use this brief interlude before the lecture to devour my sandwich. I say devour because apparently I caught the attention of the man in front of me who asked if I was hungry. It was at this point I traced back to the last time I had eaten...mmmm...besides pixie sticks, Red Bull and couple bottles of wine I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours( I know I know do as I say not as I do ). I guess I was hungry. Now this lecture was a bit odd due to the fact that JPL doesn't deal in the Deep Space Network except to use it. So they were unable to answer several of the questions posed. At which point a gentleman stood up in the audience, introduced himself as the Project Manager for NASA on the Deep Space Network and the panel, looking very relieved, turned the floor over to him. You never know whose gonna show up at these things.

Sabutai Musashi: Ninkage-ryu
Ninkage-ryu a Japanese martial arts style continues to live. Grandmaster Musashi uses a variety of weapons and implements to astound and amaze.
Grandmaster Musashi brought 2 of his apprentices with him, to help him with his demonstrations,  one obviously a large blond american, and one a very small, but spunky brunette,  to help demonstrate "size doesn't matter". He allowed them to help in his demonstrations of inner awareness, without vision, pointing to, touching, or striking various objects while blindfolded, and hooded, and walking through the crowd in the same way, without bumping into anyone. He also mentioned that all blades have souls or energies, and that part of his training is to help people be able to see the soul in everything, and how we knowingly or unknowingly react to this energy. Not your typical board breaking, watermelon slashing demonstration.

Masquerade
Dragon*Con is proud to once again present the largest and most spectacular masquerade costume contest in the known and unknown universe. P. David, L. Hamilton, A. Douglas, G. PĂ©rez, J. Lenahan;
So I'm thinking it's probably 8 by now? Master Johnathan and I decide we should probably hook up with Kevin so I go to text him and tell him where we are. Did I mention my phone was almost dead? As I'm sending the text the phone powers down. Did it send? Did it not send? No problem, we'll just use Master Johnathan's phone but his phone is almost dead as well and does the same thing. So as we're sitting there trying to figure out what to do and Kevin walks up. It seems one text made it. It's too early to go home and we're just outside the Masquerade...let's watch. Now the fun thing about this contest are the MCs. Let's take an actor who is most likely unfamiliar with a Con and see how they handle introducing the various costumes of characters they've probably never heard of before. Master Johnathon stayed outside and struck up a conversation with the roadie of Jefferson Starship who was playing at midnight.

We ended up rolling into the house around 12:30 - 1 to the rather perturbed look of Darkchild, sitting on the couch, tapping his foot and saying "See you for dinner you say?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment