Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Where is Dawn Now? Year 4


Well, I'm running down the road 
tryin' to loosen my load 
I've got seven women on 
my mind, 
Four that wanna own me, 
Two that wanna stone me, 
One says she's a friend of mine 
Take It easy, take it easy 


Sorry....that's my traveling music. You think you download enough music for a road trip and then two years into boring space and you realize you're now sick of everything you brought. Thank god for stray radio signals (except Rush Limbaugh, I could do without those).

Here I am into year four....boooring.  Still another 8 months from my destination. Ground control keeps messing with my stuff man. I guess they're bored too. So I screwed with them.....I sent back the following bogus telemetry data last month:

  • an open circuit in one of the pressurized cells of the nickel-hydrogen battery, a portion of the reaction control system that was so cold that its hydrazine propellant was in danger of freezing,
  •  temperatures elsewhere on the spacecraft so low that the delicate cameras were at risk of being damaged, and a sun sensor with degraded vision.
  • the waveguide transfer switch #5, used to direct the radio signal from the transmitter inside the spacecraft to one of its antennas for beaming to Earth, was stuck and so would not move when software instructed it to.
  • computer memory was compromised by space radiation
  • one of the two star trackers, devices that recognize patterns of stars just as you might recognize constellations to determine your orientation at night without a compass or other aids, was no longer functional.
  • an antenna at the Deep Space Network that needed to be taken out of service for emergency repairs 

Muuuuaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...I'm so evil, bored, whatever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment