Friday, August 31, 2012

Moon Over Dragon*Con


Torchwood: Inside the Actor's Gaff with Barrowman, and Owen

Hey...for once we made it to the first Friday panel early enough to get in. And what a better way to start off a morning than watching John Barrowman!!!! It started off with Barrowman coming on stage and mooning the audience with his Dragon*Con underwear. I don't think I can really say anything more about this panel. That says it all. There are five other parts to this panel on YouTube if you're interested.

You'll have to forgive the lack of tweets. As Dragon*Con get's moving the cellular network  is a bit saturated and my phone randomly works depending on the hotel...*sigh*..I really was trying this time.

SG: Atlantis and SG:U—Supergate I
R. Picardo, J. Flanigan, C. Trinneer, P. Kelamis
I'm actually not familiar with either of these shows. I just got around to watching SG-1 this year. But I like the actors themselves from other shows One of the interesting questions was: What Sci-Fi type programs do YOU (the actors) watch? Most didn't watch much television, but Richard Picardo, said that he was VERY concerned about the lack of "good" Sci-Fi on television these days, and that cheap "reality TV" shows were a sign of the apocalypse. :-)

Stellar Consciousness
Stars are amazing! They have mass & energy flows that dwarf anything on a planet. They live for billions of years. Could they possess consciousness?
Mmmm about the only thing I can think to say aboout this panel is that I was sitting next to  an outlet and was able to  charge my phone.  I thought it was about the plasma flows between stars and how they form structures similar to a double helix. It ended up being some tree hugger hippie nonsense about stars really having consciousness. Unexpected on the Science track. Sorry Master Johnathan for dragging you.

A Woman Leading Change!
Nichols, R. Lehnen
Master Johnathan and I split here. He wanted to see Gearbox speak (Borderlands! Borderlands!) I keep missing original Star Trek speakers and, let's face it, they  aren't getting any younger, so I went to see Lt. Uhura. . I can pretty much say that Star Trek fans ask the worst questions. All those skits and jokes you see "Remeber in episode X when whatever happened..." or "In 1995, when you were at insert random function and I was  at your table....Do you remember..." Seriously? She very graciously answered every question but then I guess after all these Cons she's a pro and still looks damn good btw as well.

Big Damn Heroes!
A. Baldwin, J. Staite, S. Maher
So one thingI dislike about anything related to FireFly are their fans. They are fanatical but not in a good way. Master Johnathan's  panel was full so he was able to get in line crazy early. By an hour till the line had already reached the rooms capacity. We hadn't seen Adam Baldwin in a panel yet which is the only reason we even considered going. Firefly Crew is always amusing.   This time, a fan offered them a sealed bottle of  "FireFly"  Bourbon+Tea,  which was recently marketed,  and Jewel said "Let's break this puppy open!!!"  (There's alwasy alcohol. Last time it was champagne.)  Lot's of discussion about the other actors, and the running gags on the sets, and how much fun it was to work together...And as always Nathan Fillion called in to try and upstage the show.

Friday Night Costuming Contest
One of the issues with costume contests is that he audience is more interested in being amused than seeing a well designed costume. This contest is is specifically for costume designers. Sorry there aren't any pictures. I really need a better camera (insert where is Kevin when I need him). I liked it, of course it also reminds me I have no artistic talent but we all knew that anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment